The history of King Edward VI College

KEC Building

King Edward’s has a proud history and tradition dating back to 1552 when our educational institution was first established.

  • 1552 The school was established near St. Nicolas Church following the grant of a royal charter by King Edward VI
  • 1799 The first boarders were taken at the school
  • 1870s Cricket, football and athletics were introduced
  • 1880 The new Grammar School was relocated to the other side of the churchyard, to the current site on King Edward Road. The new Tudor-style building was designed by architect Clapton Rolfe. Fees were introduced
  • 1892 There were 60 students and 4 members of staff
  • 1921 The college moved from football to rugby
  • 1923 There were 254 boys and 11 staff
  • 1925 A House system was introduced with four houses: Nuneaton (white), Coton (blue), Stockingford (yellow), County (green)
  • 1929 The House system based on geography was replaced by the names of the four House Masters: Day’s (white), Sheffield’s (blue), Hill’s (yellow), Gale’s (green)
  • 1930 A red and white striped uniform was introduced
  • 1935 New House names are Grene’s, Ellyot’s, Walton’s and Sadler’s, the names of the first four recorded Masters of the Grammar School in the 16th century
  • 1941 The school was bombed resulting in extensive damage to buildings.  Junior students were re-housed in the headmaster’s house and senior students at the Girls’ High School
  • 1944 The school became non-fee paying
  • 1963 The rebuilding work was completed
  • 1974 The grammar school was closed and then re-established as King Edward VI College.  This is when the first girl students arrived

The oldest surviving building dating from 1695 is still in use today as the parish office.

Notable Alumni