Why go anywhere else?
Why Choose King Edward VI College over a school sixth form?
- Over 45 years experience specialising in sixth form education.
- An unrivalled range of courses all at one site.
- Genuinely treating our students as young adults.
- Highly qualified teachers dedicated to teaching only sixth form students.
- A proven record of success with a 98-99% pass rate at A level for the past 5 years.
- A grown up environment where students learn the work and personal skills needed for university or employment.
- A fresh start leads to more invigorated and motivated students.
- A chance to make new friends and have more freedom of expression.
- An unrivalled range of enrichment opportunities designed specifically for 16 to 19-year olds.
- 17 sports teams competing at national level.
- A positive and supportive atmosphere.
What our students say…..
Our students gave the following reasons for coming to us rather than staying on at their school:
- Incredible support in a positive atmosphere
- More opportunities
- Good travel links in a central location
- Make new friends
- Treated like adults
- A huge range of sporting activities
- Passionate supportive staff
What the experts say
- “Students from Sixth Form Colleges have better independent learning habits than those from school sixth forms including many fee paying schools and tend to be better prepared for Higher education.” University admissions conference keynote speaker
- The latest Higher education data backs this up. 85% of former King Edward Students graduating in 2016 achieved a 1st or 2: 1 class of degree – State school Sixth Forms – 74%
- 93% of former King Edward Students completed their degrees compared to 86 % of students from State School Sixth Forms.
- An Ofsted study concludes that “the most effective group of providers among the sample visited was Sixth Form Colleges”
- “Research into post-16 structures shows that students at Sixth Form Colleges are likely to achieve better results than those in other provider types and at a lower cost per head” SFCF Manifesto.
- “The consistent success of Sixth Form Colleges is one of the glories of the education system which we celebrate” David Bell, previous Chief Inspector, Ofsted
- “colleges outperform all other providers of 16-18 education, in terms of value for money and outcomes for students” SFCA
- “Some 14% of students accepted to higher education come from sixth-form colleges, while independent schools supply 10%” SFCA