How many hours per week?
Teaching contact time is 4 hours and 20 minutes per subject. Other workshops will be available throughout the year including over some holiday periods. Students are expected to complete up to 4 hours of independent study to complete assignments, homework, extra reading and independent research.
- Grade 5 in GCSE Maths
- Grade 5 in English Language
- Grade 6 or above in two relevant sciences
- Attainment 8 Score: 57
Exam BoardOCR Apply for this course
Biology will suit students who are interested in all aspects of the living world. The course investigates biological processes and the structure of organisms. Students are encouraged to use their initiative to investigate both theoretical and practical problems.
If you choose this course you would benefit from:
- Experienced teachers who specialise in Biology.
- Modern, refurbished laboratories with extensive practical equipment.
- Trips to various universities and locations of biological interest.
- National competitions to challenge students.
What will I learn?
In the first year you will study:
- Microscopy and cell structure
- Biological molecules
- Tissues and organs
- Breathing and exchange surfaces
- Heart and blood
- Plant transport
- Diseases and immunity
- Biodiversity and evolution
In the second year you will study:
- Nervous and hormonal coordination
- Plant and animal responses
- Photosynthesis and respiration
- Genetics and gene technology
- Ecosystems and populations
What will I be taught?
This course is practical-based, and you will spend a lot of the time in labs carrying out experiments and investigations. You will have access to learning resources to support your lessons through Teams, as well as other online resources to help you revise and test your knowledge. In addition, your teacher and progress coach will review and discuss your progress with you and will be available for advice to support your learning.
Classroom activities will include:
- Multiple choice tests
- Practical activities
- Interactive online quizzes
- Group work
- Student led sessions
Where will this course take me?
As part of a wider programme this course provides an excellent basis for progression to many careers or university courses.
Former students of this college have gone on to study Medicine, Dentistry, Veterinary Science, Marine Biology and many other biological courses.
How will I be assessed?
- Biological processes 37%
- Biological diversity 37%
- Unified Biology 26%
Staff Contact Details
Kayan Parker firstname.lastname@example.org
Joseph Cox email@example.com