Business – HNC
How many hours per week?
Teaching contact time varies each week depending on the stage of each unit. Delivery and briefing for topics can be 4 hours per week per unit whereas independent research time is negotiable. Timetabled hours are 12 per week however students are expected to complete up to 10 additional hours per week of independent study to complete assignments, homework, extra reading and independent research.
- Grade 4/C in GCSE Mathematics
- Grade 4/C in GCSE English Language
- 96 UCAS points and/or teacher or tutor recommendation – you do not have to have studied Business at Level 3 but have an interest in the subject
- There is potential for older applicants to apply without UCAS points if they have relevant work experience
Exam BoardCoventry University Apply for this course
The HNC in Business will suit students who have completed their A ‘Levels/Level 3 vocational studies and are interested in the dynamic world of business but are not yet ready to go to university and/or work full time. The course investigates real life problems faced by businesses and explores possible solutions. Students are encouraged to develop their own independent learning and research skills to better understand the world of business.
If you choose this course you would benefit from:
- Experienced teachers who specialise in business and have experience in industry
- Guest lecturers and industry experts who in the past have included representatives from the college (specialist roles), The Monkey Business Foundation and associated business people.
- Trips to put business into practice; in the past students have visited, BMW in Berlin, Coventry University tasters and the annual Leadership Symposium event.
- The skills developed for Level 4 studies and/or employment which include; independent learning, time management and meeting deadlines, following instructions, professional business presentations, research and application, essay and report writing.
The HNC course at King Edward VI College has been recognised for its role in widening participation amongst higher education students – read article
What will I learn?
This is a 1 year course which is the equivalent to year 1 at University. You will cover 6 modules as follows:
- Professional Skills & Development
- Essentials of Marketing
- Business and the Business Environment
- Organisational Behaviour, Leadership & Management
- Business Analytics for decision making
- Financial and Management Accounting
What will I be taught?
This course follows a similar structure to universities. You will have collaborative lectures, seminars and personal tutorials with periods of independent study
Classroom activities will include:
- Discussions and debates
- Analysis of case studies and videos
- Group and individual work
- Student led sessions inc presentations
We regularly review our course content, to make it relevant and current for the benefit of our students. For these reasons, course modules may be updated, please contact us for the latest information.
Where will this course take me?
As part of a wider programme this course provides an excellent basis for progression to many careers or on to university courses. For a lot of universities, those who wish to continue to the full degree in Business can apply to go straight in to year 2, however you need to enquire first. Coventry University has formally approved the course and there is an agreed progression route to year 2 with them, subject to general entry requirements.
How will I be assessed?
100% course work and assignments. Each unit has 2 internally set and assessed assignments which relate to real-life business situations and/or case studies.
Annual validation visits by Coventry University occur to confirm grades recommended before these grades are then released at the end of the academic year.
Staff Contact Details
Linsey Plant firstname.lastname@example.org
Please enquire for further information regarding the course and /or tuition fees