How many hours per week?
Teaching contact time is 4 hours and 20 minutes per subject. Other workshops will be available throughout the year including over some holiday periods. Students are expected to complete up to 4 hours of independent study to complete assignments, homework, extra reading and independent research.
- Grade 5 in GCSE Mathematics
- Grade 5 in GCSE English Language
- Attainment 8 Score: 54
Under review for 2019/20 entry
Exam BoardEduqas Apply for this course
Business Studies will suit students who are interested in the dynamic world of business. The course investigates real life problems faced by businesses and explores possible solutions. Students will be encouraged to use their initiative in order to solve these problems.
If you choose this course you would benefit from:
- Experienced teachers who specialise in business and have experience in industry
- Guest lecturers and industry experts who in the past have included representatives from Coventry Building Society, Santander Bank and Matalan to name a few
- Trips to put business into practice; in the past students have visited, Alton Towers, BMW in Berlin and DHL in Northampton
- Competitions to put knowledge into practice in the past students have entered
What will I learn?
In the first year you will study:
- Enterprise and entrepreneurship
- Business structures, locations and plans and how they adapt
- Finance, revenue and costs
- Marketing, including research and promoting the product
- People in organisations / human resources
- Operations management
- Data and market analysis and sales forecasting
- Analysing financial and non-financial performance, e.g. financial ratios
In the second year you will study:
- Business aims and objectives and implementing a strategy to achieve them
- Decision making models, including moving averages, and critical path analysis
- Investment appraisal and special orders
- Change and Risk management
- Political, Economic, Social and Technological factors that businesses deal with
- The impact of Ethical, legal and environmental factors upon businesses
- Globalisation and trading across many countries
- The European union and how this affects trade
What will I be taught?
This course is taught around a flipped learning approach, students make use of materials on the college Moodle site to research topics before they are delivered in class. This prior research is then assessed in class and activities follow which allow learners to explore the content in more detail and apply them to real business situations. In addition, your teacher and personal tutor will review and discuss your progress with you and will be available for advice to support your learning.
Classroom activities will include:
- Multiple choice tests
- Essay based assessments
- Interactive online quizzes
- group work
- student led sessions
Where will this course take me?
As part of a wider programme this course provides an excellent basis for progression to many careers or university courses.
Former students of this college have gone on to study Business Management, Business and Marketing and Business and Accounting at university and employment/apprenticeships with Aldi, TNT, Coventry Building Society and Santander.
How will I be assessed?
- Business Opportunities and Functions 33.33%
- Business Analysis and Strategy 33.33%
- Business in a changing world 33.33%
Staff Contact Details
Nicola Kalirai email@example.com
Adrian Peberdy firstname.lastname@example.org