How many hours per week?
Teaching contact time is 4 hours and 20 minutes per subject. Other workshops will be available throughout the year including over some holiday periods. Students are expected to complete up to 4 hours of independent study to complete assignments, homework, extra reading and independent research.
- Grade 4 in GCSE Mathematics
- Grade 4 in GCSE English Language
- Attainment 8 Score: 41
Under review for 2019/20 entry
Apply for this course
Business will suit students who are interested in the dynamic world of business however wish to study through a combination of external assessments and internal assignments. The course investigates real life problems faced by businesses and explores possible solutions. Students will be encouraged to use their initiative in order to solve these problems and key employability skills, such as meeting deadlines and planning own work, will play a key part in achievement.
You have the choice of studying either an equivalent 1 or 2 A ‘Level programme. The 1 A ‘Level programme achieves the Extended Certificate (yr 1 study = Certificate and yr 2 study = Extended Certificate). The 2 A ‘Level programme achieves the Diploma (yr 1 study = the Extended Certificate and yr 2 study = the Diploma)
If you choose this course you would benefit from:
- Experienced teachers who specialise in business and have experience in industry
- Guest lecturers and industry experts who in the past have included representatives from Coventry Building Society, Santander Bank and Matalan to name a few
- Trips to put business into practice; in the past students have visited, Alton Towers, BMW in Berlin and DHL in Northampton
- Employability skills development: time management; meeting deadlines; following instructions; communication skills to name but a few
What will I learn?
In the first year you will study (for the 1 A ‘Level option):
- Investigating Customer Service (internally set and assessed assignments)
- Personal and Business Finance (externally set exam)
In the second year you will study (for the 1 A ‘Level option):
- Developing a Marketing Campaign (externally set controlled assessment)
- Exploring Business (internally set and assessed assignments)
For the 2 A’ Level option you will study all 4 units above in year 1 with the following in year 2:
- Managing an Event (internally set and assessed assignments)
- International Business (internally set and assessed assignments)
- The Principles of Management (externally set controlled assessment)
- Plus 1 other (tbc)
What will I be taught?
This course is taught around a mixture of flipped learning approach where students make use of materials on the college Moodle site to research topics before they are delivered in class. This prior research is then assessed in class and activities follow which allow learners to explore the content in more detail and apply them to real business situations. In addition, your teacher and personal tutor will review and discuss your progress with you and will be available for advice to support your learning. For the internally assessed units, teaching will be classroom development of topics through delivery, discussion, research, individual and group activities
Classroom activities will include:
- Multiple choice tests
- Essay based assessments
- Interactive online quizzes
- Group and individual work
- Student led sessions
Where will this course take me?
As part of a wider programme this course provides an excellent basis for progression to many careers or university courses.
Former students of this college have gone on to study Business Management, Business and Marketing and Business and Accounting at university and employment/apprenticeships with Aldi, Santander and KPMG.
How will I be assessed?
- 42% Internal Assessment via Assignments
- 58% External Assessment via Controlled Assessment and a Written Exam
- For unit breakdown see “what will I learn section above”
Staff Contact Details
Nicola Kalirai email@example.com
Linsey Plant firstname.lastname@example.org