How many hours per week?
Teaching contact time is 4 hours and 20 minutes per subject. Other workshops will be available throughout the year including over some holiday periods. Students are expected to complete up to 4 hours of independent study to complete assignments, homework, extra reading and independent research.
- Grade 5 in GCSE Mathematics
- Grade 4 in English Language
- Grade 4 & 5 or above in two relevant sciences
- Attainment 8 Score: 45
Exam BoardPearson Apply for this course
Medical Science is for students who are interested in medical science and biology or health-related issues. It explores the foundations of health and disease and how the body is monitored to diagnose conditions. It allows you to use techniques that are employed in medical research.
If you choose this course you will benefit from:
• Experienced teachers who have worked in medical research and the science industry
• Visits to pathology laboratories and De Montfort University
• The opportunity to experience and study a very focused subject
• Access to modern equipment and the development of independent practical skills
What will I learn?
In the first year you will study:
• Human health & disease
• Ways in which the body is monitored
• Research methods and analysis of data in a medical context
In the second year you will study:
• Medicine and the treatment of disease
• Clinical laboratory techniques
• Medical case studies
What will I be taught?
Flipped learning is used to encourage students to explore materials and resources for themselves and to develop skills in the classroom
• Classroom activities will include:
• Practical investigation
• Group work
• Exam based assessments
• Quizzes and tests
Where will this course take me?
As part of a wider programme this course provides an excellent basis for progression to many careers or university courses.
Students can progress onto courses in
Food and nutrition
How will I be assessed?
50% exam and 50% coursework in the form of assignments
Human health & disease (exam) 50%
Physiological measurement techniques 25%
Medical research methods 25%
Medicines and treatment of disease 50%
Clinical laboratory techniques 25%
Medical case study 25%
Staff Contact Details
James Corbett firstname.lastname@example.org
Sujata Smith email@example.com